Ukrainian Policy Expert (National position)
Global Rights Compliance (GRC) is an international legal foundation focused on bringing perpetrators to justice for atrocity crimes. We have a presence in the Hague, London, Washington, and Kyiv.
GRC in Ukraine works in support of the Office of the Prosecutor General (OPG) by deploying several Mobile Justice Teams (MJTs) which assist the PGO in all aspects of the investigation, case building, and prosecution. Our headquarters for this project are in Kyiv, Ukraine. GRC’s MJTs operate throughout Ukraine in areas of interest to the OPG.
DUTY STATION: The job will be based in Kyiv, Ukraine.
CONTRACT DURATION: 6-month contract, however, the role is planned to be a long-term position with possible extension.
GRC is seeking a full-time Ukranian Policy Expert. The successful candidate will engage in regular/ongoing discussions with Ukrainian policymakers about how the Ukrainian government can be assisted in evolving its laws/regulations/policies to further facilitate the prosecution of war crimes resulting from Russia’s decade-long invasion of Ukraine.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identifying key individuals within the legislative, executive, and judicial branches;
- Establishing and maintaining relations with policymakers;
- Creating/supporting champions;
- Building coalitions;
- Interacting with “fellow travelers”;
- Leveraging resources;
ATTRIBUTES AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience in/with Ukraine government policy-making and adoption/implementation (e.g. having worked in parliament or in the parliamentary relations department of a ministry or agency)
- Understanding of how policy advocacy works: identifying key individuals within the legislative, executive, and judicial branches; establishing and maintaining relations with policymakers; creating/supporting champions; building coalitions; interacting with “fellow travelers”; leveraging resources; etc.)
- Ukrainian and English language proficiency
- Law degree
- Understanding of international humanitarian and/or criminal law (IHL / ICL)
- A strong relationship with Ukrainian media, to facilitate improving awareness of potential policy improvements
- Experience in the non-profit world (NGOs, donors, grants, accountability)
How to apply
Please submit your English CV and cover letter to email@example.com by the 30th of June indicating the position you are applying for in the email subject. Note that, as this is an urgent recruitment, we shall be shortlisting and interviewing applicants on a rolling basis and the vacancy may close earlier than the closing date.