Dispute Resolution – CCT Consultant position (native Russian speakers ONLY)
Location: London, GB/remote is possible
Division: Legal Transition Programme, Office of General Counsel, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Contract type: Consultancy contract – short term (part or full-time)
Contract Term: 4 months (start date 1 October 2021 – 31 December 2021) (with potential for extension for next year)
Deadline for applications: rolling
Purpose of Job
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (“EBRD”) aims to strengthen the economic governance framework needed for private sector development through active policy dialogue. In addition to its investment operations, the EBRD provides technical assistance to its countries of operations to achieve this objective of better governance.
The Legal Transition Programme (“LTP”) is the initiative of the EBRD to contribute to the improvement of the investment climate in the Bank’s countries of operations by helping to create an investor-friendly, transparent and predictable legal environment. The Legal Transition Team (“LTT”) administers the LTP within the Office of the General Counsel (OGC).
The Bank’s assistance under LTP focuses on the various areas of law that are relevant to investment activities, in particular commercial dispute resolution, public procurement, financial law (including access to finance, insolvency and debt restructuring, NPLs resolution and FinTech) corporate governance, energy and climate change (including power and energy regulation, sustainability and energy efficiency), infrastructure and natural resources (including ICT, PPPs).
The dispute resolution focus area covers courts and judicial training, mediation, arbitration (very little) and bailiff service reform (enforcement of judicial decisions).
We develop and design legal reform projects, identify and secure funding for such projects and prepare all the documentation for project approval. While designing the project and implementing the project we closely collaborate with the state authorities in the target EBRD country of operation, identifying their needs and managing expectations.
We also monitor the work of consultants and their deliverables. For all our project work, we prepare donor reports, highlighting the impact of the project. It is also part of our job to stay abreast with various developments in the focus area and carry out research or assessments on various connected topics.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- The Consultant will help with work on a variety of legal reform and capacity building projects and related activities in the area of dispute resolution. Projects may be related to Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Georgia, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Romania, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and other countries of EBRD operation;
- Assisting Counsels/ the EBRD Operation Leaders (the “EBRD OL”) (Veronica Bradautanu, Yulia Shapovalova) in project development, preparation and implementation;
- Assisting with facilitating communication between the Bank and beneficiaries in the government of the EBRD countries of operation;
- Scheduling project missions, including developing agendas, organising meetings with local stakeholders, coordinating preparation of outreach events with project consultants and beneficiaries/counterparts;
- Drafting/editing all relevant documents for submission to the government counterparts;
- Reviewing/editing the project deliverables submitted by the project consultants;
- Coordinating a submission of TC deliverables to relevant stakeholders and recording their relevant approvals or feedback;
- Coordinating reporting by the project consultants and ensuring that all project reporting requirements are up to date and completed in a timely manner;
- Ensure that final versions of all project documents are saved on LiveLink and draft versions of project-related documents are saved as instructed;
- Keep regular track of events organised and achievements reached and save relevant information as instructed.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Legal academic education [preferably] in an EBRD country of operation;
- Law qualification preferred, but not a requirement;
- At least two years of work experience in dispute resolution area/law firm/governmental organisation;
- Work experience in international organisations and IFIs in international development/legal reforms would be an advantage;
- Experience and knowledge of Central and Eastern Europe and the CIS, or North Africa and the Middle East, or experience in developing and emerging markets is an advantage;
- Awareness about and interest in legal reform work;
- Understanding and skills in technical assistance project development and management/administration would be an advantage;
- Fluency in Russian and English language;
- Good legal drafting skills in English and Russian;
- Strong organisational skills, ability to progress on multiple projects simultaneously under tight deadlines;
- Strong computer literacy;
Excellent communications skills both written and oral;
- Good analytical ability and judgement.
Please apply with a CV and a short cover letter (half a page) on your relevant experience and interest in this position, emailing to Veronica Bradautanu: email@example.com.
Please do not apply if you do not have proficient English/Russian language skills.
Labeled as: MID