Head of Legal & Product Compliance
SKELAR is a venture builder that builds international product IT companies, where we recreated the venture capital world. Together with our co-founders, we gather strong teams to kick off and run tech businesses and win at global markets.
Today, our portfolio encompasses projects in various niches — from EdTech to SaaS. Our approach is simple: big markets, ambitious goals, strong teams. And our key expertise is high-tech, deep analytics and fast scaling.
Our mission: empowering high-performing teams to build the next big everything.
We are looking for Head of Legal at a venture builder level with a focus on product compliance on international markets. This is a crucial role in achieving our vision — helping our founders build at least 5 sustainable $100M+ businesses with a market cap potential. It entails not only legal, but also business decisions and huge impact on portfolio companies and its prospects.
What you’ll do:
– Lead, develop and recruit a team of legal and compliance practitioners to deliver and implement the compliance agenda;
– Design legal compliance guidance covering primarily US and EU consumer protection, B2C marketing, IP and data privacy legislation;
– Assess the risks of our business models, implement comprehensive and business-oriented solutions for risks mitigation;
– Implement compliance programs on all business/product/marketing aspects, i.e. from the legal analysis of business models to the design of ToU and payment pages;
– Liaise with tier-1 US and EU legal firms to conduct in-depth legal research on various business risks (B2B SaaS, online-services market-place, entertainment platform, etc.);
– Participate as a member of the portfolio company board(s) of directors, focusing on growth opportunities via a compliance lens;
– Develop trust-based counselling relationships with portfolio executives and senior leadership;
– You will report directly to the senior executive business partner of SKELAR.
What we offer:
– Significant exposure to impacting high-growth businesses and designing what they will look like (imagine you were brought by Benchmark to fuel sustainable growth of Uber);
– Work along with people coming from top-tier local and international companies (Big Law, McKinsey, Horizon, Bolt, Didi, etc.);
– Flat organization structure with significant liaison with founders and decision-makers;
– Competitive salary and benefits with a performance-related compensation model;
– An outstanding candidate will have the opportunity to be promoted to a partner in 2-3 years.
Starter-kit needed to join the team:
– 5-8 years of experience in either of: big law firms / legal boutiques / top-tier local or international companies;
– High level of critical thinking – your decisions will literally affect business top- and bottom line;
– Law degree from a top-tier Ukrainian or foreign university;
– Fluent legal/business English. Advanced drafting skills;
– Proactive self-starter.
Our ideal profile:
– Previous professional exposure (including in-house) to tech sector (marketplaces, B2C platforms, ride-hailing, etc.);
– Expertise in US and EU consumer protection law, IP / data-protection law, commercial law (i.e., FTC Act, ROSCA, CAN-SPAM ACT, GDPR, etc.);
– Advanced degree: LLM, MLB, MBA or other;
– Certifications: CIPP/E, CIPP/US, CIPM or other;
– Proven management experience.
SKELAR is a place for self-realization of talents who are able to create successful companies. We call such companies the next big everything. We believe in their power and scale.
Among businesses, we launched the charity initiative “Chumatskiy Shlyah” – the internal project driven by our employees, that supports the Armed Forces of Ukraine. With its help, we create and finance large projects to bring our victory closer.
We will keep developing tech businesses, conquer global markets and work for the victory of Ukraine 🇺🇦
For this purpose, we have provided the following opportunities:
– 8 infrastructure teams that help startups deal with any issue: from recruiting to finance and legal;
– A community of founders who have already launched more than one business and can share practical experience;
– Internal clubs within the professional areas: marketing, engineering, payments, hiring;
– Trainings, courses, conferences;
– Medical insurance, corporate doctor and psychologist.
Let’s build the next big everything together!