Access to Justice: What role for law clinics?
July 22 @ 12:00 - 16:00 UTC+2Free
- What role should law clinics play in bridging the gap for people who are ineligible or unable to access legal aid?
- What are the legal issues that matter to people, in particular, is there a lack of lawyers with legal aid contracts?
- How could the work of law clinics be supported by legal professionals, law students, policy makers, researchers and other members of the community, such as voluntary and public organisations that provide information, advice and guidance beyond legal matters?
- How will law clinics fit into the delivery of access to justice in the future?Issues that will be covered:
– The impact of legal aid reforms on access to justice in particular in family law cases.
– The role law clinics can play in filling the gap left in legal aid funding.
– Shortcomings in using law clinics as gap fillers.
– Students’ and volunteers’ perspectives as providers of law clinic services.
– The future direction for law clinics.